The internet has proven to be a helpful resource, and one of the ways we tap into its repository of information is via routers. This article explains how to enable UPnP on ATT routers. If you have an ATT router and would like to use it optimally, you will have to know how to enable the UPnP settings.
To enable UPnP on ATT router, you should follow the steps listed below:
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your router to your computer
- Enter router’s control panel
- Enable UPnP from the control panel
The process to enable UPnP on ATT Uverse router is not so complicated. If you are a do-it-yourself enthusiast, you should be able to get the job done in no time. To clarify the subject matter, I have analyzed every step to enable UPnP on ATT routers and made sure it is simplified even for dummies.
At the end of this article, you will be able to set up UPnP on ATT router, understand what the term UPnP means and its importance, and ultimately be able to fix any issues that arise when you are trying to set up your router. You may face possible errors, such as ‘UPnP not successful,’ and I have done diligence to provide solutions for such errors if you encounter any.
Main Points In This Article
- 1 Step-by-Step Guide on How to Enable UPnP on ATT Router
- 2 What is UPnP on ATT Router?
- 3 UPnP Not Successful: How to Fix
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Enable UPnP on ATT Router
For now, I will take for granted that you understand what UPnP means and have an ATT router. I have done some definitions of terms in this article, but I have chosen to provide the guide to enable UPnP on your ATT router first before boring you with supporting details.
Here’s how to enable UPnP on ATT router.
Connect an Ethernet Cable from your Router to Computer
If you have an ATT router, you are definitely using the internet via AT&T. The phone company offers internet services through phone lines (DSL) and fiber optic cables. Hence, the first step of enabling UPnP on your router is to connect your router to your computer via an Ethernet cable.
Use a proven-to-work Ethernet cable, connecting one end to the yellow part of your modem and the other to your computer’s motherboard or WLAN card. Once the wired connection is set, you can proceed to the next stage.
Enter the Router’s Control Panel
After you have connected your router to your computer via the Ethernet cable, the next step is to enter the router’s control panel, where you should be able to enable the UPnP. To enter your router’s control panel, this is what you should do:
- Press the Windows key on your computer’s keyboard or click the Start icon at the bottom left of your screen
- In the search field provided, type in ‘cmd,’ and the computer’s command prompt will appear
- Right-click on the command prompt and click on ‘Run as Administrator.’
- When the prompt loads, type ‘ipconfig’ and tap Enter to proceed
- You will see a list of IP addresses. Copy the Default Gateway from the prompt by highlighting it and tapping Enter
- Next, go to your computer’s browser and paste the Default Gateway you copied, which should look like 188.8.131.52, and tap Enter.
- Enter your default login details in the boxes provided. Click Enter, which will take you to your router’s control panel
Enable UPnP from Control Panel
It is from your router’s control panel that you enable UPnP. Hence, after you have entered your router’s control panel, navigate to the ‘Home Network’ tab, where you will see a list of devices on your network. You will find the UPnP settings under the ‘Advanced Features’ section or the ‘More Functions’ tab.
Depending on the router model you are using, the UPnP settings can fall under any of the sections mentioned above. To save yourself the stress of looking for the UPnP settings, hold down the CTRL and F key, which would bring up a search box. Type in ‘UPnP setting’ in the search box and click enter.
In the UPnP setting, toggle the empty box to activate.
As I promised, I will show you how to correct errors that may occur while setting up the UPnP setting. Before that, let me do a definition of terms for better understanding.
What is UPnP on ATT Router?
UPnP stands for Universal Plug and Play. It is a setting that allows direct data sharing between all the devices connected in a network flow. You will find this setting in your router as an AT&T 2Wire. This indicates that you can use a digital subscriber line (DSL) and the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) settings.
Older router models do not come with UPnP features, so using these dual settings may not be available. Maybe you want to purchase a router and would like to have one with UPnP. Check out this review on the best UPnP routers.
You can also conduct a google search about your current router if you already have one to see if it has the UPnP feature. If it does, you can follow the steps I provided above to help you enable UPnP on your router.
One peculiar error you may likely encounter when trying to enable UPnP is ‘UPnP not successful.’ That’s the only error many users encounter, and I will show you what to do when such an error occurs.
UPnP Not Successful: How to Fix
The error message ‘UPnP not successful’ occurs when your router’s firmware is outdated. You will get this error in your Network settings console on your router’s control panel. Fixing it is easy. To fix UPnP not successful error message, follow the steps below:
- Go to your router control panel. If you do not know how, trackback to the step where I explained how to enter the control panel above
- On the router control panel, locate and enter the ‘Update’ tab
- In the Update tab, look for ‘Scan/search for update’. It should display available firmware, which you should download and install.
If you still encounter the UPnP not successful error message, reboot your computer and modem. This should correct the error.
How to Enable UPnP for Xbox One?
UPnP is available on Xbox One, and to enable it, follow the steps below:
- Go to your router login page and log in using the required details
- In your router control panel, navigate to the UPnP menu
- Click on Enable UPnP and save changes
- Next, go to the Settings app on your Xbox One and select the Network tab
- Select the Test NAT type tile.
Is it good to enable UPnP on my router?
Yes. Enabling UPnP on your router will help you connect devices to your network swiftly. The UPnP offers a quick way to connect devices to the internet. However, when UPnP is enabled, it gives hackers a loophole to exploit and perform malicious activities on your network.
Is UPnP bad for gaming?
UPnP is great for gaming. Games today rely on UPnP to open a port when requested and then close it when the application is done. Hence, it is an excellent feature for gamers.
How do I use UPnP on Windows 10?
To use UPnP on Windows 10 and probably other windows, you should:
- Go to your PC’s control panel
- Click on Network and Internet and then on Network and Sharing Center
- In the left pane, click on Change advanced sharing settings
- Finally, on the Network Discovery section, turn on network discovery and click the Save button, which would change the button.
As you can see, UPnP is a very useful service that allows computers on the network to configure the router automatically. It’s much more convenient than setting each device up individually because the system finds its way to an IP address using dynamic discovery.
I am optimistic you now know how to enable UPnP on ATT router and fix the UPnP not successful error message. If you have any problems following the steps mentioned above, please ask me in the comment section.