Current evidence shows rabbit farming as one of the top business opportunities in Africa. Rabbit meat carries the immense amounts of digestible proteins, most lowering cholesterol and fat of all types of meat.
Like other African countries, rabbit farming in Ghana is lucrative, profitable and booming.
Rabbits are simple to rear, clean and require little capital, labour, time as well as space to manage. When adequately fed, they can provide a high protein low-fat meat for healthy eating.
Though rabbit meat may not be as popular as chicken, beef or pork, it is still a very lucrative business. Every year, above one million tons of rabbit meat, is consumed globally.
The world’s four most prominent producers and consumers of rabbit meat are China, Italy, Spain and France.
Both adolescent and adult, as well as the physically challenged, can undertake rabbit keeping as part or full-time venture. This type of animal is straightforward to manage from home.
Rabbit farm involves proper management and good sanitation. Therefore, below are ways to adequately manage and properly keep good sanitation for your rabbit farm.
Always lift rabbit with loose skin over the shoulder while supporting a lower part of the body.
Young rabbits are held with a hand over loin area with the head pointing downwards.
Keeping accurate records is essential in rabbit management.
Develop a table for routine management activities such as mating, kindling and weaning to monitor individual performance.
Develop an individual identification system, e.g. Ear tattoo.
Undertake daily stock inspection to identify sick stock for treatment.
Undertake daily cleaning of cages and washing water trough.
When picking a land to rear rabbits, there are certain things to put into consideration. These things will be of help when used properly. They include:
Distance to a neighbouring residence
The direction of prevailing winds to neighbours
An adequate source of water
Topography (avoid steep hill)
Soil type (well-drained soil)
Proximity to surface water bodies, sinkholes and flood
How to Avoid Frustration in Rabbit Rearing
It is vital to learn the secrets of success for any new business or trade. The following directions will support you in starting a successful rabbit business in Ghana.
Choose the right rabbit breed that suits your target
Construct suitable housing/cages for your rabbit farm
Provide excellent hay and clean environment
Conduct market research constantly
Huge Benefits of rabbit farming
1. Rabbits as a small herbivore comfortably hold a relatively wide range of cellulose-rich foods.
2. It is adaptable to the family diet and food preservation techniques available on the small rural and peri-urban farms.
3. Production of highly nutritious, low-fat, low-cholesterol meat.
4. It is easy to transport; the market and the recurrent costs for maintaining animals beyond the optimum marketing age are low.
5. Easy to start, affordable to run and maintain.
6. Rabbit farming is lucrative because rabbits reproduce very fast.
7. There is a vast market break for rabbits. The increasing percentage of heart disease and related ailments has heightened recognition of the harmful effects of cholesterol in our diets.
More people are now reaching for ‘white’ meat, which contains low amounts of cholesterol. Unlike ‘red meats’ (especially beef and pork), white meats like ostrich, poultry, fish and rabbit meat contain fewer fats and cholesterols and have higher health benefits.
8. The labour costs are low, and family members can do the work. Women and children, or perhaps aged people, usually the most vulnerable can assist.
9. Rabbits raise within a short space.
10. Production costs are less compared to other large-sized animals.
11. Rabbit meat is delicious, nutritious and effortlessly digestible. All aged people can eat without any difficulty.
12. There are no religious taboos concerning eating rabbit meat. In the case of meat production, rabbits come after poultry.
13. Kitchen wastes, grass, plant leaves etc. are favourite foods of a rabbit. So you can breed some rabbits for your family needs, using this type of low cost and readily available commodities.
14. Rabbit farming requires less labour compared to another animal farming business. You can use your family labour for successful commercial rabbit farming business.
Things to Note about Rabbit Farming Business
The decision to start a small rabbit farming requires quality information like the one here.
Remember that commercial rabbit farming business needs relatively less capital, and you will get back your investment within a brief period.
As it is a profoundly profitable business, so commercial production can be a great source of earning as well as employment.
Moreover, you can meet up your family nutritional demands through raising a few numbers of rabbits. Start now and win big with rabbit farming from the comfort of your home.
Rabbit farming is one of the lucrative businesses out there now. So, if you are thinking of starting a rabbit farming in Ghana, and you fully understand this post, I see no reason why you are still waiting.
Get your funds ready, space and start your rabbit farm today. I hope you find this post useful, feel free to share with your friends as well as family. Thanks for reading.