Kate Spade and Michael Kors (MK) usually appear in any list that ranks America’s top popular fashion brands. It is expected that one becomes torn between two brands to buy from, especially when selecting designer accessories for a milestone event.
Given that both designer brands equally crack the top list, among other brands like Coach and Marc Jacobs, in producing the best bags to suit any personality, it becomes pretty hard to pinpoint which brand is best in the area of bag production.
Well, for starters, Kate Spade bags are known for their luxury, simple, and classic designs tilted to the feminine and novelty side of the fashion spectrum. In contrast, Michael Kors bags are characterized by more expensiveness, bolder colors, and bolder styles.
Having tested and tested bags produced by the two fashion powerhouses, I have developed this article to constructively express my comparisons, covering style, materials, durability, target audience, longevity, timeliness, and price.
In the end, we should be able to confidently identify the brand that does it best with its bags styles.
About Kate Spade bags
With a wide range of classic shades to vibrant styles offered by Kate spade, finding the right color of bags is never difficult; bags from the New-york-born fashion house are designed with functional utility for generations of women who appreciate sleek, colorful, and affordable designer bags.
Bags from Kate Spade has been on the favorite list of women who want to rock designer bags without splurging thousands of dollars on one. However, the story of the globally recognized fashion brand started decades ago, precisely around 1993.
From a little boutique in Manhattan, the founder, Kate Spade, grew the trajectory of the bran with a collection of cool handbags that were unique, sleek, and modern. Since then, the company has extended its tentacles into other fashion accessories like jewelry, clothing, and other adornments.
- Original Kate Spade bags can boast durability.
- Buyers are spoilt with choices, particularly through the lens of colors and styles.
- Their bags are remarkably well-made to last for a very long time
- Renowned for its classic bag designs
- When compared to rival brands like Coach, Kate Spade bags don’t seem to measure up
- It is not a brand to turn to if ‘trend’ is the priority when buying your designer bags
- Despite being committed to affordability, kate Spade bags are quite pricey.
- The influx of Replica handbags in the market
About Micheal Kors bags
The strong reputation of bags made by Michael Kors fashion brand heavily lies on the traditional classical and fashionable design that is not extravagantly fancy.
MK bags have the extra success of sweetly blending simplicity with beauty to the fashion world. However, MK bag styles have been tilted to a more modern, younger, and sporty appeal in recent years.
Michael Kors handbags become wardrobe must-have upon release, effortlessly, due to the brand’s signature modern elegance. Being a designer of luxury accessories and ready-to-wear, MK makes bags that graces sports-luxe aesthetic without neglecting the initial vision of sophisticated style.
- There is a great variety in the selection of MK bags
- One can easily find affordable options for bags and accessories
- Handbags of Micheal Kors are more stylish and trendy
- The Designer’s strong reputation
- Sometimes, the quality of their bags falls short of expectations!
- The influx of replica bags in the market
Similarities between Kate Spade and Micheal Kors bags
Identifying the similarities between bags made by Kate Spade and Micheal Kors can further reveal some sharp contrast in individual brands’ approaches to style and position on the hierarchy of fashion luxury.
1. Both brands are globally recognized as giants in the fashion industry who sprouted from America and can be placed on the same category of similar brands like Coach, Tory Burch, and Ralph Lauren.
2. Aside from producing designer bags, both brands extend their product line into other fashion accessories investments such as jewelry and clothing. However, they have distinct quality performance in those other areas, which is not the main focus of this post.
3. The two designers are equally identified in the mid-range luxury handbag market and may not do well compared with relatively higher fashion powerhouses like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.
4. Although Micheal kors and kate Spade have different approaches to style, design, and target audiences, they have similar quality control, which is distinguished only by pricing systems.
Comparing Kate Spade bags Vs. Micheal Kors bags
Let’s get down to the head-to-head comparison across various viewpoints worthy of consideration.
Quality is one of the major factors separating any contending fashion brand. In this case, Micheal Kors bags is patronized chiefly for their handbags’ quality. They use the highest quality leather for their bags, even though they don’t offer as much style and design as Kate Spade.
Various review instances account for the ripping of the Kate Spade bag’s interior lining. The case can never be the same for MK bags.
Identifying the advancement gap between Kate Spade and Micheal Kors bags will depend on the style being considered. However, we know that Kate Spade provides more variety in style, shape, and color.
Be that as it may, Micheal Kors bags are known for their sophisticated structure and ability to handle wear pretty well. The shape and color of their bags remain on-trend since they are classic. This is the edge it has over Kate Spade in terms of aesthetics.
Interior details and quality
Given that both are reputable fashion brands, they take pride in the material used for their bag construction. However, as mentioned earlier, Kate Spade bags seem to have reduced their interior lining over the years. It shares similar lining quality of Silk blend material. But a small tear in Spade bags should be expected over time.
On the exterior, in most of their styles, Kate spade uses high-end materials including Canvas, Fabric, Crosshatched leather (Saffiano leather), pebbled leather, and smooth Italian leather.
Similarly, Leather Michael Kors bags come with premium interior and exterior craftsmanship, which sharply justifies their high price tags.
Bag weight has been a huge consideration for many women when shopping for designer bags. While this depends on the style being considered, I have discovered that most Micheal Kors bags weigh more. This is more apparent when you go for larger styles.
In contrast, Kate Spade bags seem to understand very well the strain that a bag’s weight can cause on the shoulders. This is because their bags are lighter, maintaining durability.
Color defines the variety of styles, among other elements. But it equally defines the overall quality of the bag. It is good that both MK and Kate Spade bags use colors that do not deteriorate over time.
Even those lighter pebbles leather styles, Bags from both brands do not color fade. That’s commendable.
Finally, the price is another factor that places one brand above the other, even though they are both globally sought after.
Kate Spade handbags are moderately priced as they can set you back for as low as $175 and as much as $795, $300 or less.
On the other hand, Micheal Kors handbags have higher price tags, but you can still see some, especially the small and medium bags, priced between $100 and $750, depending on the style.
Having gone through the comparison between Kate Spade bags and Micheal Kors bags, I am pretty sure you have chosen aside, perhaps the one that suits your style more.
While the overall style of Kate Spade bags features brighter and younger colors, its designs are more girly and appeal to fashionable women of 30 years old and less. On the other hand, Micheal Kors bag follows fashion trends closely, offering an option for office ladies.
Bottom line, it is very easy to fall in love with Kate Spade bags for various tangible reasons, affordability inclusive. However, bags made by Micheal Kors do better than Kate Spade bags across the viewpoints of overall quality and designs.
With this understanding, I can confidently say that you won’t go wrong choosing a Micheal Kors bag over Kate Spade.
What do you think, though? I’d be in the comments.